Polestar Luminar LiDAR
Luminar is bringing its advanced lidar tech to the Polestar 3, Volvo and Geely’s all-electric SUV. With this technology, the Polestar 3 will be able to see obstacles and recognise traffic signs. Additionally, it will help enhance active safety features.
The Polestar 3 can now be ordered with Luminar's lidar sensor pod and anticipate delivery of the vehicle featuring this system in 2024.
The Polestar 5 will also come equipped with Luminar’s groundbreaking lidar technology, and the four-door performance GT is scheduled to hit the market in 2024.
“Luminar is at the forefront of long-range LiDAR technology and this closer collaboration will allow for greater innovation in our cars to come. We look forward to combining our R&D and product design expertise to deliver truly stunning LiDAR integration and capabilities for the Polestar brand,” comments Polestar CEO, Thomas Ingenlath.
Lidar technology has seen significant developments in the past five years with developers reducing the size and weight of the bulky hardware once needed for lasers to create a 3D impression of a car's environment.
Luminar and Polestar have just announced their collaboration, introducing the tech developer's Iris lidar system to be featured in the highly-anticipated Polestar 5, which was shown off earlier this year through the Precept concept.
This agreement demonstrates a heightened emphasis on sensors, needed for Level 3 driver-assist technology, that has started to appear in cars from various car makers in different areas.
This was all confirmed by the company's CEO via Twitter
Notes From Polestar Editors
- 1.Orders for Polestar 3 with LiDAR from Luminar start in all European and North American Polestar markets on 2 February. Orders in Australia follow slightly later in February, and are planned to start in China from mid-April. Orders in all other Polestar markets are expected to start at a later date.
- 2.Deliveries of orders for Polestar 3 without LiDAR, which opened on the day of the world premiere, 12 October 2022, are expected in Q4 2023. First deliveries of Polestar 3 with LiDAR are expected in late 2024. There is no change to the existing expected delivery timing on Polestar 3 overall, or the series production timing of Luminar’s LiDAR independent of Polestar.
Polestar And Volvo The First To Access Google New HD Maps.
The Volvo EX90 and Polestar 3, both of which are underpinned by Volvo's Scalable Product Architecture (SPA2) and utilise Google's Android Automotive operating system.
Polestar Expects To Sell 80K EV's in 2023! 60% YOY Growth
In 2023, Polestar anticipates worldwide production to rise by almost 60%, likely reaching 80,000 cars. This growth is expected to be driven mainly by strong sales of Polestar 2, and will be further reinforced in the latter part of the year with the first handovers of Polestar 3.
2024 Polestar 2 Brings More Power, Performance, Range And Design
The Swedish EV maker Polestar ($PSNY) is bringing a notable update to the electric performance fastback, Polestar 2, for its 2024 model year. The premium compact EV features a reinvigorated front end following the design language debuted by Polestar 3 and improved performance with powerful new electric motors, updated batteries, sustainability enhancements, plus rear-wheel drive, a first for Polestar models.
- New motors, refined ride and rear-wheel drive for single-motor versions
- Quicker charging and longer range – now up to 635 km WLTP
- Sustainability improvements reduce carbon impact by 1.1 tonnes
- SmartZone debuts following introduction on Polestar 3
- Driver Awareness features and wireless phone charger added to list of standard equipment
Thank you for reading.